The Early Years
It was about 1947 that a few members of the Ramsey Church of Christ, a few miles north of De Leon, Texas, differed from their brethren on a point of doctrine concerning the millennium. The difference not being resolved, those members were disfellowshipped. Needing a place to worship, this little band, most of whom were lifelong members of the Church of Christ, built a small church on Mosely Street in De Leon. They called it simply “A Church of Christ.” Among this group was Charlie Fenter, his daughter Myrtle and her husband Voy Wilks.
By early 1952, however, earnest study had convinced Charlie that the communion (Passover) should be observed annually rather than weekly. Not wishing to displace others at the Mosely Street church, the Fenters, Wilkses and others began meeting in private homes. When Charlie died in May, 1952, conducting weekly worship services fell to Voy Wilks. Unable to find a congregation that matched their convictions, he, Myrtle and their five children continued to meet at home with Charlie’s widow, Annie. For the next decade they met largely alone, joined intermittently by neighbors and friends. Their motivation was simple: to obey the Heavenly Father. As their understanding of the new and old scriptures changed, they modified their lives and worship accordingly.
1960’s - 1980’s
In 1962, feeling a need for identification, they adopted the name Church of God (7th day), though the tiny group was never affiliated with any of the seventh day Churches of God. Gentle expansion prompted the group to build at Romney in the early 1980s.
By 1982 members of the group reached a conviction not just to know, but to use, to love and to revere the personal name of the Creator, Yahweh (Isa. 56:6; Mt. 6:9). Thus the “Church of God (7th day)” became the “Assembly of Yahweh (7th day).” Voy’s son Farris Wilks was appointed Bishop/Pastor a short time after.
1990’s - 2000’s
Due to steady growth under Pastor Farris Wilks, the original plain brick structure was expanded twice and a larger metal building was added in 2002. In 2007 an activity center was added with basketball, volleyball, two racquetball courts, locker rooms and various exercise equipment.
What was originally a small field has been expanded and improved to provide tent and RV camping to accommodate visitors during spring and fall feasts. A bathhouse with showers and laundry facilities was provided for convenience as well.